Tuesday, May 22, 2018

NPIT4 at Stellenbosch



Today the 4th International Conference on Non-Professional Interpreting and Translation (NPIT) opens at Stellenbosch University near Cape Town. and lasts for three days. It covers many of the topics treated in this blog. The programme is available by clicking [here] or going to http://conferences.sun.ac.za/index.php/NPIT4/index/pages/view/Programme.

As usually happens at such conferences, a few papers creep in that seem to have little to do with the subject. For instance the opening paper Generativity and the Practice of Translation; but appearances can be deceptive. As a whole the papers are wide ranging and draw attention to NPIT in Africa, though I would have liked a balance that had more from the wide world beyond Europe and the USA. One of the pioneers of dialogue interpreting studies, Cecilia Wadensjö of Sweden, is participating.

One paper in particular seems relevant to a topic that was raised on this blog only a few weeks ago and was dubbed inverse child language brokering. (To retrieve the post, enter inverse in the Search box on the right.)  It's the paper by Elena Garcia Gandia of the University of Nevada and graduate of my neighbour the Jaime I University at Castellón de la Plana (see below.)

To anyone at the conference who may happen on this post, my best wishes for a happy stay in South Africa.

Reference
Elena Gandia Garcia. Evaluating the  training needs of ad-hoc interpreters working with unaccompanied minors who seek asylum in the US. Paper to the NPIT4 Conference, Stellenbosch, 2018.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for interesting post, I was there in past, but only like visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I was previously checking constantly this weblog and I'm impressed! Extremely useful information specially the closing part :) I maintain such information much. I was once seeking this kind of information for a lengthy time. Many thanks and best of luck. my sites:Certified Interpreters and Translators

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I am trying to get ahold of Translatology regarding the Image The Earliest Depiction of an Interpreter posted on July 5, 2010. I have sent a few emails but I am not sure I have the right email. Anyone who knows how to get in touch with Translatology please email me at cynthiaroy50@gmail.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can contact Translatology by emailing him at translatology@yahoo.com

      Delete
  4. Your Post Information is Very Important Keep Sharing And Feel Free Then Look Out Our Profile Also : legal translation services in dubai

    ReplyDelete